Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Oh, Happy Day!

My darling, loving, dear husband is nothing if not consistent.  This includes his ability to start projects around the house and not finish them.  He is notorious for beginning a project that he assures me is going to be fabulous, and two years later decides he might just get around to finishing it.

Our deck is the biggest project in the works right now.  When we moved into our house 3 years ago, it was falling apart.  "Don't worry," he said, "it can be easily replaced."  We got settled into our new home, and about 2 years ago, he started the project.  He was right, the old deck ripped right out.  We rented a dumpster and by the end of the day, it was gone.  After a trip to Home Depot, we had everything we needed to start the new one.  It started out well enough.  He framed a huge new deck, laid boards, even put in railings with decorative metal poles all the way around.  The finishing touches just weren't done, and then came the idea for an outdoor kitchen.  The kitchen had to go in before the finishing touches could be put on the deck.  Again, he planned it out, set up the frame, and got as far as the counter top before stepping away.  Football season was busy and it was followed by a long winter and a string of excuses.  Other projects gained precedence inside the house.  I must say, my crown molding in the bedrooms, chair and picture frame molding in the dining room, and built-in closets are beautiful!  However, I got so frustrated with the deck not being finished, I had everyone in the family only giving him Lowe's gift cards and grill parts for his birthday, Christmas and every other holiday.  Finally, after expressing over and over how wonderful it would be to have football parties on the deck this fall, we took a trip to Lowe's to buy the granite!

This is truly a happy day, because the granite counter top was installed!  Yay!  Now that it is in, the rest of the deck can be finished!  I have been promised that in the coming days and weeks, he is going to finish staining the kitchen, replacing boards that have warped in the last couple of years, and put all the finishing touches on the deck.  Now that I have told you all about it, I can hold him to it!  I wish I had before pictures, but enjoy some pictures of the counter top being installed this morning. 

Before Granite
Cutting out for the grill
We have counter tops!
From the bar side
Even Coach is happy!
Here comes the fun part....I get to start DECORATING!!!!  I need chairs for the teak table we purchased from Restoration Hardware Outlet, bar stools for the kitchen, furniture for the living area, and other cute decorations.  I hope with it being the end of summer, that I can find some things on sale or clearance!  What is your favorite place to buy outdoor furniture?








No comments:

Post a Comment