Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

Nine years ago, I met my best friend on Spring Break in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  We knew (or at least I did) from the moment we met that it was something special.  We both attended Auburn University, had the same group of friends, and would be staying in the same beach house for a week.  We had our first date that week at the "nicest" restaurant in town.

I had no idea what would happen when our Spring Break ended and we returned to reality.  To my surprise and relief, not much changed!  The weeks turned into months, and the months turned into years.  Our relationship never wavered, only growing stronger.  We graduated from college and moved to Atlanta together. 

Five years ago, on Memorial Day weekend, we planned our annual trip to Gulf Shores with friends for the long weekend.  On Sunday morning, we awoke long before anyone else did.  Shawn suggested a drive around town to check out the damage and re-building from a recent hurricane and I agreed.  We drove down Beach Road, where our Spring Break house once stood.  Sadly, it had been destroyed in the hurricane, and not even a driveway was left.  When Shawn finally pulled into the public beach parking lot and suggested a walk on the beach, I knew my dreams were coming true.  He got down on one knee, and across the bay from where we had our first date, asked me to be his wife. 

One year later, we said "I will" in front of our friends, family, and God at Church of the Holy Communion in Charleston, South Carolina.  It was the happiest day of my life and I couldn't ask for a better husband.  He has stood by my side and supported me through both the good times and bad times.  He is my rock and my strength when I can't find mine.  I love him more than anything in the world, and am thankful that God has given me this special gift.

Happy Anniversary and I look forward to the what the rest of our lives bring!

The love of my life!

Our Wedding Party (minus the ring bearer)


No comments:

Post a Comment